What Conditions or Health Problems Does CBD Treat for Dogs?
- Pain/Chronic Pain
- Noise Phobias (ie, Fireworks)
- Loss of Appetite
Can CBD Treat Pain in Dogs?
Many dog and pet owners who praise the benefits of CBD will say that it has helped reduce their dog’s pain and corresponding immobility. These claims should not be discounted, nor should it be blindly believed. However, these accounts are one of the main reasons that vets are so eager to study the possible medicinal uses of CBD in pets.
What are the Possible Side Effects of CBD in Dogs?
There is no scientific data on the side effects of CBD usage for dogs. However, based on the side effects we see in how humans are affected, these are the possible side effects to watch in your dogs:
- Dry Mouth: Research has shown that CBD can decrease the production of saliva. For dogs, this would manifest as an increased thirst.
- Lowered Blood Pressure: High doses of CBD have been known to cause a temporary drop in blood pressure. Even though the drop is small, it might create a brief feeling of light-headedness.
- Drowsiness: Dog owners have used CBD to treat anxiety. The calming effect of CBD can also cause slight drowsiness, especially when using higher doses.
Shopping for CBD?
If you and your veterinarian decide that you should try CBD as a treatment for your pet, there are a few things to keep in mind when purchasing CBD oil and/or pet treats. Not all oils are the same. You want high-quality CBD oil to have a chance of it working.
- Shop Organic: Organic means all natural. If the CBD oil is not organic, it at least should not contain pesticides, fungicides or solvents.
- Shop Non-GMO: Pure CBD is so important to getting the most important and healing aspects of CBD. Don’t settle for anything less.
- Don’t Price Shop: The higher the quality and purity, the higher the cost. You don’t want to go for a cheaper option that could have toxic substances such as pesticides, herbicides, or heavy metals. Make sure your CBD oil is free of additives.
- Don’t be fooled by celebrity: Recently Celebrities have gotten into the CBD “game” but don’t really know much about what they’re doing. They own a label, but don’t know much about the CBD, the products, or the real purpose.
Although some CBD products have dosing instructions on the label, we recommend that you dose gradually. Every pet is different. (Just like people) Specialists recommend starting with 1mg per 10 pounds of body weight, twice per day and monitor your pet’s reaction.